Welcome to Episode 18 of Live Better with your host, Yasmin Shiraz. Today’s tip deals with deadlines. Everyone runs into a deadline at some point in their lives. This Tip is about helping us to use deadlines to give us power. So, here are three questions that I want you to consider:
1. Do you ever cringe at the thought of hearing about a deadline or when you are given a deadline?
2. Do you prefer to complete tasks without a particular deadline in mind?
3. Do you have a tendency to stay away from projects, jobs or opportunities that are deadline oriented?
If you answered yes to at least 2 of the questions that I just asked, you might have a problem with deadlines. And your problem might be preventing you from making the kind of progress in your life that you want to make.
DEADLINES CAN HELP YOU
I fell in love with deadlines when I was publishing my magazine Mad Rhythms. Magazines have printing schedules and so they have to come out on time. Having deadlines made me confront my fears and do what needed to be done or I knew that my magazine wouldn’t be published. If I didn’t want to reach out to an advertiser, I knew I couldn’t wait too long because if I did their advertisements wouldn’t appear in the magazine and I wouldn’t make money. In that sense, deadlines empowered me to confront my challenges and get ahead of them.
If you’re writing a blog, deadlines can help you to stay connected with your audience. If you produce a product, deadlines help you to deliver new product to your core market segment. Any business–from bloggers to TV shows to electronics giants like Apple, Everyone is dealing with some kind of deadlines. And, the most successful people have found a way to be empowered by them. Here are three ways that deadlines give you power.
1. Deadlines force us to confront our fears about whatever issue that we’re delaying. Say you’re supposed to talk to your boss about a raise on the 1st of the month. You may be nervous about it, but you know after the 1st of the month, your fear will be handled. Deadlines show us that we can overcome our fears.
2. Deadlines force us to come up with solutions. If you have to find a way to El Paso by the 15th of the month in order to receive a bonus, you’re going to utilize all your resources by the 14th to make that happen. Deadlines show us that we’re resourceful.
3. Deadlines aid us in our productivity. When you have a list of tasks to complete and you’ve given them all deadlines, its a wonderful feeling to see all that you’ve accomplished. Deadlines show us that we can be productive when we are focused.
Thanks for listening to episode of 18 of Live Better with your host, Yasmin Shiraz. I hope this tip helps someone out there. If you have any tips or questions that you’d like me address on my site or on the Live Better podcast, please email me at YShiraz AT YasminShiraz dot net. For more Live Better episodes, please visit www.yasminshiraz.net , sign up on iTunes or sign up on Stitcher Radio. And, our show is now on YouTube.
See you next time.